A further stage of redevelopment of the Flemington site is now being progressed through Big Housing Build funding.
The development plan and planning permit application has been lodged with the Department of Environment Land Water and Planning.
Following the outcomes of the planning approval process, we’ll start construction in early 2022.
Download the full proposed landscape design
What you need to know
City of Moonee Valley
The development will include 5% of Disability Discrimination Act fully accessible homes.
- Safe and publicly accessible open and green spaces, including a gateway park and children's playground.
- Paths and connections through the site for pedestrians and cyclists.
- The project will promote good design, make the most of open space and will incorporate Office of the Victorian Government Architect involvement and expertise in the development of design proposals for the site.
- The project will incorporate environmentally efficient design, meaning the homes will be more comfortable as well as less expensive to heat and cool carrying a 5-star Green Star rating and a 7-star NatHERS average rating.
- The redevelopment will include a range of dwellings including 1, 2 and 3 bedroom homes, responding to the changing needs of Victorian households.
- The site will include social and affordable housing.
- All new social housing homes will have a minimum Silver level certification from Livable Housing Australia.
- At least 5% of the new social housing homes will be easy to access for Victorians with disabilities. This includes drop-off areas, paths, lifts and car parking. Inside the home, kitchens, bathrooms and storage will also be very accessible.
- Further information is available on the National Construction Code website.
Who will be financing, designing, constructing and managing the new housing?
A not for profit project group overseen by Homes Victoria will finance, design, construct, maintain and manage all new housing at the site in agreement with Homes Victoria’s project requirements and specifications.
The project group is made up of:
- Community Housing Limited (a Registered Housing Agency) as the equity provider and operator
- NHFIC (National Housing Finance and Investment Corporation) as the debt provider
- Tetris Capital as bid lead and financial advisor
- Icon Kajima as the builder
- Citta Property Group as development and property advisor.
Ground Lease Model
In a first of its kind for social housing in Victoria, this site will be delivered through a Ground Lease Model.
Through a partnerships approach, vacant land will be leased to a not for profit project group who will finance, design, construct, maintain and manage the sites for 40 years, before handing all land and buildings back to Homes Victoria.
Find out more about the Ground Lease Model.
Community engagement is an important element of the project. The department has established a Community Committee for the renewal of the Flemington site.
The committee brings together important community members and representatives of local organisations to provide advice on the redevelopment of the site. It enables ongoing and two-way feedback by participating with stakeholders and the community.
Members of the committee provide advice and feedback on redevelopment plans and identify local issues and matters of concern as they arise. Members will provide input and communicate back to their communities to support the successful delivery of the project.
Planning approval and early works
Construction of new homes complete
Contact usEmail icon:Phone icon:
For languages other than English, please call 131 450.