The Victorian Parliament passed the Residential Tenancies, Housing and Social Services Regulation Amendment (Administration and Other Matters) Act 2022 (the Act) on 2 September 2022 and it received royal assent on 6 September 2022.
The Act deals with several areas across the Housing portfolio and makes amendments to the Housing Act 1983 and the Residential Tenancies Act 1997.
- formalises the transition from Director of Housing to Homes Victoria, and enshrines key governance reforms for Homes Victoria
- enables Homes Victoria to implement the most appropriate commercial models and transaction structures to deliver on the $5.3 billion Big Housing Build
- establishes an enabling framework for Victorian Affordable Housing Programs
- provides two new reasons for issuing a notice to vacate to enable the continued operation of NRAS and Victorian Affordable Housing Programs. Not meeting eligibility criteria for these programs can now to be a reason to issue a notice to vacate
- ensures community impact statements provided by Homes Victoria are considered by the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal where a notice to vacate has been issued due to serious anti-social or criminal conduct. (Not yet in force - these sections will commence either on a date to be proclaimed or by 20 June 2023, whichever is earliest).
The Act also amends the Social Services Regulation Act 2021 to delay the commencement (by twelve months) of the Social Services Regulatory Scheme to 1 July 2024.
Further information can be found in the factsheets below: