Home - Homes Victoria logo

Need urgent housing?

Quick exit
Quick exit

If you are in immediate danger Call 000.

Are you homeless or at risk of homelessness?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call to get you help nearby. If after hours, they will refer you to the Salvation Army Crisis Services.
Are you escaping family violence?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call from Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre.

Escaping family violence

There are 24 hour, state-wide services available to help you find a safe place to stay if you are escaping family violence.

Everyone deserves a safe place to call home. There is a 24 hour, state-wide crisis service (safe steps) available to help you find a safe place to stay if you are escaping family violence. Specialist support services are also on-hand to work with you to create a plan to keep you and your family safe. 

About family violence

Family violence happens in family, domestic or intimate relationships. It is any violent, threatening, forceful or controlling behaviour and can include:

  • physical injury
  • sexual assault
  • emotional and psychological abuse
  • financial control
  • social isolation.

Since July 2006, our funded family violence services have been working in partnership to provide a more integrated response to family violence.

How to get help

If you, or someone you know, are in immediate danger, please call 000 and ask for police.

If you are escaping family violence, you can get help from the Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre by calling their 24 hour toll free number on: 1800 015 188

The service will assess your safety needs. They will then arrange emergency or crisis accommodation if needed and link you with a local family violence support service.

You may also wish to seek out an Orange Door in your area. The Orange Door is a free service for adults, children and young people who are experiencing or have experienced family violence and families who need extra support with the care of children.  Further information can be found on the Orange Door website

Find contact details for other services that can help on the Housing Vic website, including family violence, mental health, youth, relationship and alcohol and drug services.

Applying for housing

You may wish to apply for social housing directly through the Victorian Housing Register, which includes both public and community housing. 

The register has two categories:

  1. Priority Access: In broad terms this might be for people:
    • who are homeless and receiving support
    • are escaping or have escaped family violence
    • with a disability or significant support needs
    • who need to move for health reasons.
  2. Register of Interest: for people who do not meet the Priority Access criteria but are seeking to live in social housing.