Home - Homes Victoria logo

Need urgent housing?

Quick exit
Quick exit

If you are in immediate danger Call 000.

Are you homeless or at risk of homelessness?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call to get you help nearby. If after hours, they will refer you to the Salvation Army Crisis Services.
Are you escaping family violence?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call from Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre.

Crisis accommodation

Help is available if you are homeless, escaping family violence or at risk of homelessness.

For many different reasons, not everyone has a safe place to call home. A range of challenges and complex issues lead to people needing access to crisis accommodation. We offer housing support for people who are at risk of slipping into homelessness, or are already rough sleeping or experiencing homelessness.

There is help available if you are: 

  • escaping family violence
  • homeless or at risk of homelessness
  • experiencing another housing-related emergency.

Housing support

You can get help to find crisis accommodation by calling 1800 825 955 (free call, 24 hours).

A housing and support worker will take your call. They will refer you to help in your local area. If you call out of business hours, you will be connected to the Salvation Army Crisis Services.

You can also access support through your nearest crisis centre - see the Getting help page of our Services website.

Escaping family violence

There is a 24 hour, state-wide crisis service (safe steps) available to help you find a safe place to stay if you are escaping family violence

Other services that can help

Find contact details for other services that can help on our website, including family violence, mental health, youth, relationship and alcohol and drug services.

Applying for housing

You may wish to apply for social housing directly through the Victorian Housing Register, which includes both public and community housing. 

The register has two categories:

  1. Priority Access: In broad terms this might be for people:
    • who are homeless and receiving support
    • are escaping or have escaped family violence
    • with a disability or significant support needs
    • who need to move for health reasons.
  2. Register of Interest: for people who do not meet the Priority Access criteria but are seeking to live in social housing.