We are looking at how we can build more homes for more Victorians on the South Yarra housing site. We will work with existing tenants, neighbouring residents and businesses to determine the best way to do this.
The South Yarra project is proposed to build 330 homes adjacent to existing public housing
Hayball have recently been appointed principal design consultants. Work is expected to start in 2022.
What you need to know
The project will be located on Homes Victoria land in South Yarra.
City of Stonnington
The Victorian Government is investing $160 million in the development at South Yarra.
The development at South Yarra is creating 1791 jobs.
The development at South Yarra will include 310 - 330 homes.
The development will include 5% of Disability Discrimination Act fully accessible homes.
We asked for community feedback in June and July 2021 to help us understand what is important to improve at the South Yarra housing site. We’ll use this feedback to finalise plans for additional new housing to be delivered on the South Yarra housing site.
- The project will promote good design, make the most of open space and will incorporate Office of the Victorian Government Architect involvement and expertise in the development of design proposals for the site.
- Environmentally efficient design, meaning the homes will be more comfortable as well as less expensive to heat and cool carrying a 5-star Green Star rating and a 7-star NatHERS average rating.
- The project will include a range of dwellings including 1, 2 and 3 bedroom dwellings, responding to the changing needs of households in Victoria.
- All new homes built by Homes Victoria as part of the Big Housing Build will have a minimum Silver rating from Livable Housing Australia.
- At least 5 per cent of the new social housing homes will be easy to access for Victorians with disabilities. This includes drop-off areas, paths, lifts and car parking. Inside the home, kitchens, bathrooms and storage will also be very accessible.
- Further information is available on the National Construction Code website.
Contact usEmail icon:Phone icon:
If you have difficulty reading English, you can get help with understanding this website over the telephone. Call the translation and interpreter service on 131 450.