The Park Tower Community Hub may have only been around for a few years but it's brimming with community spirit.
The Community Hub is a key outcome of the South Melbourne Community Capacity Building Initiative which began in late 2018 as a partnership between Star Health (now Better Health Network) and the Department of Families, Fairness and Housing.
The Hub plays a vital role in providing a place for residents and young people to take part in activities, community services, programs, as well as organisations to connect with each other and build a thriving community.
Park Towers served up its annual Community Hub celebration on Wednesday 27 September, inviting City of Port Phillip council members, the Better Health Network and members of the local community engagement team.
The event was an opportunity to celebrate and showcase the achievements of the Park Towers Community Hub, as well as a more recent initiative – the Park Towers Food Pantry.
The Food Pantry is another resident-led South Melbourne Community Capacity Building Initiative.
The pantry was established last year and provides free access to food and basic staples to more than 100 public housing residents every fortnight, helping ease the burden of food costs and also providing healthy food options.
The main course of the event was an awards presentation to honor the achievements of residents who have volunteered their time to keep the Hub and its activities running.
The winners were:
- Award for Outstanding Community Contribution – Chris Kennard
- Award for All-Round Excellence in Community Leadership and Innovation – Troy Matthews
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Anna Rogalina and Marlene McKay
- Outstanding Community Collaborator Award – City of Port Phillip Youth Services
- Outstanding Community Program Award – artsbus (by Artists for Kids Culture)
- Community Champion Award – Lan Nguyen, Beletu Zemelak, Mohammed Ahmed, Barbara Magee, Corinne Nicholls.
Sign up for updates
Want to hear more about Homes Victoria projects and news? Sign up to the Homes Victoria email mailing list to stay up to date with events, project updates and more.