On this page:
What is Homes Victoria affordable?
As part of the landmark $5.3 billion Big Housing Build, Homes Victoria is delivering 2,400 affordable rental homes. These homes will be located close to shops, transport and workplaces. In January 2023, the first affordable rental properties were listed in metropolitan Melbourne. More homes will become available to renters in more areas, including in regional locations, through 2023.
The program will create an alternative to the private rental market to help low to moderate income Victorian renters access high quality housing at an affordable rent.
Homes Victoria affordable housing is different to social housing. Social housing is for people on very low to low incomes who need housing, especially those who have recently experienced homelessness, family violence or have other special needs. People in social housing pay a percentage of their income on rent.
People in Homes Victoria affordable rental homes pay the advertised rent price, which is set at least 10 per cent below the market rental cost in metropolitan Melbourne and at market rent in regional Victoria. This will ensure that homes are affordable wherever they are located.
Starts affordable, stays affordable
All Homes Victoria affordable homes across Victoria start affordable and stay affordable.
- A 3 year lease, with the ability for eligible renters to extend their lease for a further 3 years.
- Rents will never be more than market rent with the added protection of a cap set at 30 per cent of a median income.
- Ballot process – all eligible applicants have an equal chance of being offered an affordable home.
Apply now for available properties
Once you hit the ‘Apply Now’ button, you will see our current property listings. You can click on the homes you are interested in, then apply via the Snug portal.
All property related enquiries can be sent to our property manager Victorian Affordable Rentals consortium at email@example.com
Properties available soon
Sign up to the Homes Victoria email mailing list to stay up to date with the latest properties as they become available. Check the 'Homes Victoria affordable' box for updates specific to Homes Victoria affordable projects. Email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Am I eligible?
To be eligible for a Homes Victoria affordable home, you must meet all the below criteria:
- 18 years or older
- Able to live independently (with little to no support)
- Able to look after the property and meet the requirements of their lease.
- Your household falls under the relevant income threshold (see Table 1)
- You are an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- You currently live in Victoria
- You do not own residential or commercial property.
The homes do not currently qualify for Commonwealth Rent Assistance under current Commonwealth Government policy.
Table 1: Eligible income thresholds
|Melbourne||Up to $71,450||Up to $107,170||Up to $150,030|
|Regional Victoria||Up to $52,090||Up to $78,140||Up to $109,400|
Income eligibility for Homes Victoria affordable homes are set using the income ranges as per the Planning and Environment Act 1987.
These income bands were updated on the 23 June 2023 and can be found in the Victoria Government Gazette No. G 25 on page 1095.
Eligible households on the Victorian Housing Register can also apply for homes.
High quality, cost effective and comfortable
- All homes will be built to modern design standards and meet a minimum 6-star NatHERS energy rating.
- All homes aim to achieve a minimum silver standard of liveability for accessibility to and within the property, supporting people with additional needs.
- All homes will also be built to modern residential standards, including landscaping and an urban design that complements the local neighbourhood.
- Homes are cheaper to heat and cool and provide year-round thermal comfort thanks to environmentally efficient design and the use of green renewable energy.
- On sites we’ve developed, including Ascot Vale and Ashburton, Homes Victoria is implementing innovative energy initiatives to provide renters with the very best energy deal in the market powered by 100% renewable energy – reducing our carbon footprint and energy costs for renters.
Find out more about Homes Victoria affordable
- Sign up to the Homes Victoria email mailing list to stay up to date with events, project updates and more. Check the 'Homes Victoria affordable' box for updates specific to Homes Victoria affordable projects.
- Email your questions to email@example.com
For languages other than English, please call 131 450.